Monday, January 21, 2013

Letter to My Sons

The past 4 1/2 years has been amazing, fun and challenging to say the least. What is it like to be your mom you ask? Well, quite frankly, I can hardly remember life without you. Being a mom is life changing... completely life changing. To care for and be responsible for your little life is the biggest and most challenging job I have had, yet it has also been the most rewarding. I provide what I can for you and teach you in the hopes that one day you both will become strong, independent, self assured men who are capable of doing great things. Motherhood can make me laugh or cry, I can feel overjoyed or exasperated, and can be energized or exhausted. There are highs and there are lows. But through it all, you make me want to stop time; to freeze you for a moment, to remember your body, your emotion, your sweetness, your complete being. This is why I choose photographs.

#1 You will always be so special, for you made me a mother for the first time. I remember holding you as a tiny little baby, admiring each and every part of your perfect little body. My how you have grown! You have always been an observer; one who watches and takes all of the details in. When, and only when you know you can do something perfectly will you try. You are my realist based in facts and science. Dinosaurs and animals have long been your passion. You love to learn and have so many questions that often it is hard to keep up with you, and you are often found teaching others what you know. You make me learn as if I am a kid again.  I love discovering the world with you and joining in your enthusiasm. You enjoy having jobs whether inside or out. You are often with me in the kitchen, ready and willing to make the next meal, or helping me in the garden. You are self assured. You know who you are and are always confident in your abilities. You are fiercely independent, but at the same time you are a delegator. You are a master at negotiating. For these skills I reason that you will be in charge someday. You are also sensitive and caring, and with these qualities, I know that you will help always be willing to help.





#2 You are the boy who was born with a smile and that is how you have been for most of 2 1/2 years. Smiling...oh that smile...and that charm. These are things you were born with. These are things you are going to have to learn to use wisely. You have a love of trucks and motorcycles. You can drive them or line them up for hours. You are fearless and daring; an adventurer. You are strong willed and competent. For these, my mommy heart aches; for I have an idea that you will have a daring side that will push you to the extreme. You can already climb and find the treats on my highest shelf without a second thought. Oh, how talented you are! You are an organizer. You are a cuddler. You are a talker. You are a reader. You are and artist. My dear sweet boy, you are always by my side. I dare say, I am a bit lost when you are not near.




My dear sons, it is such a privilege and honor to be your mom. As tough as it can be, this is the best job in the world. I treasure the moments both big and small. I am excited for the adventure and achievements that await us in the future. At the same time, I want time to stand still. I love both of you more than the moon and the stars in the sky.

XOXOXO,
Mama





Next stop on the Letter to Our Children blog circle - Kim Dudenhoeffer-Moeller





8 comments:

  1. These letters are great! And I like your photos too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah I'm SO happy to have you as part of this project! Wow! You make me want to be a better writer and photographer - so much talent! Absolutely beautiful letter & images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn for the extra encouragement. I think it's going to be a fun project!

      Delete
  3. amazing writing and photos! Especially love the line up of cars-- I never think to photograph things like that.. so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree!! Your writing and images are stunning! I know your boys will treasure these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that they will look back on this with fond memories of childhood!

      Delete